Bunny hop tutorials

Here you will find posts that were of interest and have been placed into this forum for information purposes...
pizzahut
Extraordinary Gentleman

Bunny hop tutorials

Post by pizzahut »

Since RV is running the "bunnyjump" plugin, which removes the speed limit for bunny hopping, I guess it's a good idea to educate the newcomers.

Tutorials:

Astrochimp's "Bunny Hop" Guide - http://web.archive.org/web/200710190322 ... pic=1468.0
BunnyHopping Made Easy - http://web.archive.org/web/200710141818 ... p/bhop.swf
Bunny hopping - http://web.archive.org/web/200904100334 ... nyhopping/
Guide To Bunnyhopping - http://web.archive.org/web/200809161046 ... opping.htm
Bunnyjumping - http://web.archive.org/web/200812310211 ... guides.htm (navigation at bottom of the page)

Archived discussions:

Big Bras! Fast Cars! Fat Cigars! Bunnyhopping Stars! >>> Inside....
WILL YOU ALL STFU about Monkeyhopping!!!!

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_hopping
Last edited by pizzahut on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
pizzahut
Extraordinary Gentleman

Post by pizzahut »

Regular bunny hop scripts

These can be used on all servers, however be aware that a few servers disallow bunnyhop altogether. (Check the MOTD when joining a server.)

Code: Select all

alias bunnyjump "jump;jump;jump;jump;jump;jump;jump;jump"
alias jump "+jump;wait;-jump;wait"

bind "SPACE" "bunnyjump"
bind "MWHEELDOWN" "jump"
bind "MWHEELUP" "jump"
Above binds either let you use space bar or spin the mouse wheel like mad (for each bunny jump).

Or if you prefer to spin the mouse wheel more slowly (one or two notches per bunny jump):

bind "MWHEELDOWN" "bunnyjump"
bind "MWHEELUP" "bunnyjump"
Or old school:

bind "MWHEELDOWN" "+jump"
bind "MWHEELUP" "+jump"
Scripts for training only

These aren't allowed on most servers, so best create your own server to practise.

http://www.roystonvasey.eu/forum/viewto ... 8884#18884
Last edited by pizzahut on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Threepwood
market researcher

Post by Threepwood »

Where do I put these ?

In the individual cfg for each class or what?

Ta

Threep
Swiss Toni
Extraordinary Gentleman

Post by Swiss Toni »

userconfig.cfg

It will then be available for all classes.
Putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful women. First you've got to lay her out, put up your pole and slip into the old bag.
Threepwood
market researcher

Post by Threepwood »

Done that.

Space bar still makes me jump..but only once for each press , ( which is what it always used to do) and now the mouse wheel makes me jump once whether I click it up or down...

Is this right so far?

Threep
pizzahut
Extraordinary Gentleman

Post by pizzahut »

Yes it is. :)
Damn Im Good
transsexual owner of Bab's Cabs

Post by Damn Im Good »

Threep if you want some extra tutoring ask Milky, he loves to teach ;)
I opened my eyes and - by jingo! I realised I'd married three of 'em.

- Rowley Birkin

Threepwood
market researcher

Post by Threepwood »

Yeah...but last time he made me grab me ankles and make a wish...

So ...let me get this right...I've now stuck a script in me usercfg folder which makes me jump just once whenever I press the space bar....

I don't want to piss on no-ones chips here...but that's exactly what used to happen before I put the script in.....how does this help?

Threep
Bangers and Mash
innocent choirboy

Post by Bangers and Mash »

The idea is to jump as soon as you hit the floor. The script makes the timing easier. The mousewheel thingy is like pressing jump 3 or 4 times very very quickly (before you'd ever land and be able to jump a second time). You press it early and one of the 4 or 5 queued jumps will register as soon as you hit the floor. Anyway, that's how I understood it. But I never quite got the hang of it.
pizzahut
Extraordinary Gentleman

Post by pizzahut »

Bunny hop is about building up or keeping speed. When using the normal jump, you lose speed because TFC applies ground friction. With these jump scripts, you are able to jump again as soon as possible, so only losing very little speed.

Valve implemented an extra slow down to keep bunny hop within limits. On out-of-the-box TFC servers this happens at 1.7x of default class speed. So no chance to keep the speed from a conc or rocket jump.

However, on RV the bunny hop is uncapped, so you can do what Ancient suggested.
Damn Im Good
transsexual owner of Bab's Cabs

Post by Damn Im Good »

Threep, i learned by going round in a circle.

Milky said it was easier to just use the one direction i.e going right all the time (so pressing the right strafe button, jumping and moving right with the mouse all at the same time). You then find you go faster and faster so you can then try and go the opposite way out of the circle (left this time) and you will notice your speed is quicker. It took some getting used to but i found this an easier way to learn the physics etc. Milky said it ws funny when you caught up with your own rockets :/ i love him dearly
I opened my eyes and - by jingo! I realised I'd married three of 'em.

- Rowley Birkin

Swiss Toni
Extraordinary Gentleman

Post by Swiss Toni »

Damn Im Good wrote:Threep, i learned by going round in a circle.

Milky said it was easier to just use the one direction

Yeah, Straight or Gay and no inbetween's, now get back in my bed Damn, you bitch.

The easiest way to learn 'air straffe' is to start with scout class and move up the classes until you reach HW and can jump the water channel outside of 'your' base on the map Well.

The other way, the real oldskool way is to try and jump on the platform outside spawn on CZ2, over by the gren bags. There is a pillar, and you must jump around this without falling, it is hard but once you can do that you are straffing in the air or before you take off, as you cant do it without the added speed the straffe gives.

It was funny watching Damn do it, he tried 3 times and failed on each occasion and gave up, that IS the kind of commitment you need to give it :)
Putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful women. First you've got to lay her out, put up your pole and slip into the old bag.
Threepwood
market researcher

Post by Threepwood »

I've been committed to learning it for fuckin' years now......now seems as good a time as any.

Threep.